It’s here! The Knot By Gran’ma Crochet-As-I-Design-Along (which is really just a crochet-a-long with a twist that allows me to continue to be a disorganized crochet designer) is officially starting. I have tried to make all of the crochet work as clear as possible. There are pictures of the parts that I thought might be difficult to understand in the wording to show you what I’m doing, and every little detail (well everything that I could think of) is written out in the pattern. The goal is to make these (and all of my) crochet patterns as easy as possible for you all to follow. The goal is to keep the crochet work awesome. That’s the new goal of all my future crochet. I’ll go into that more somewhere else though. Today is about the start of my Crochet-As-I-Design-Along.
If you are just hearing about this now and have no idea what I’m rambling about, please go here to last week’s post. Then come back and crochet along with us.
This week we’ll be checking our gauge, starting Knotty Knucklehead, and using the following supplies:
- D/3 (3.25 mm) crochet hook (or hook needed to reach the desired gauge)
- Worsted weight yarn in one color
It’s important to get the gauge correct on this one. You’ll see why later on. I have fun, fun, fun plans for this guy (or gal… whatever). If your gauge is smaller than what I have, either loosen up that crochet or go up a size hook. If your gauge is larger than what I have, either tighten up your crochet or go down a hook size.
6 sc rows = 1 inch and 4.5 sc = 1 inch
Some notes: DO NOT ch 1 or tn or sl st unless the pattern tells you to. Crochet stitch abbreviations can be found at the end of the post.
- Working in the round… ch 12, sl st 1st st to form a loop (make sure not to twist up your ch)
- Round 1: ch 1 (counts as first sc), sc next 11 sts – 12 sc
- Round 2: (mark 1st st) sc each st around – 12 sc
- Rounds 3-17: repeat last round (15 times) – 12 sc
- Round 18: (mark 1st st) sc next 6 sts, (picture B) fold the tube in half, tn, sc 12 through the backside of the starting ch, ch 1, tn, (picture C) going through the last 6 sts just worked and the remaining unworked 6 sts from Round 17 sc 6 joining the middle of the tube – 24 sc (THIS IS THE MOST CONFUSING ROUND OF THIS WEEK’S WORK)
- Round 19: (mark 1st st) sc next 6 sts, (picture D) skip the sts in the middle of the tube, sc next 6 sts on the outer edge of the tube – 12 sc
- Round 20: 2 sc each st around – 24 sc
You did it! Congratulations on getting through your first week of the Crochet-As-I-Design-Along. If you have any questions, please leave a me a comment below. I’ll be sure to answer you ASAP. I also sometimes count wrong, so don’t hesitate to call me out on numbers if something is off. My crochet testers know this and are really the most patient people in the world.
When you’re done, please email me (email@example.com) a picture of this week’s work. Please make sure it includes (any part of) your name. You can also include your business name (if you have one) with a link too. I’ll be using them to post on my various social media sites with the pictures (and your name & business with links if included) of your progress. See you next week!
- ch – chain
- sl st – slip stitch
- sc – single crochet
- tn – turn
- st(s) – stitch(s)