I think about fiber all the time. I think about things to do with it. Can I make this into a doll? What kind of hat would this create? Can I spin that? I wonder if food coloring would make that a brilliant purple if I dyed it right… Yeah. All. The. Time. I keep myself up at night thinking about fiber. I dream about fiber. I really like the smell of fresh wool fibers. My bunny Priscilla even has a neat woolly smell to her. Fiber. Yeah.

Yesterday I found myself at Kiddo’s open house… with Priscilla’s fluffy fur hanging off my jeans. No big deal. I’m like a painter with paint on her hands. In my case it’s just wool… er… angora. I wonder if anyone noticed. I don’t think I care either way. It gave me a much needed chuckle. I’m still sore after our (stupid yet fun) 24 mile bike ride the other day. The chuckle was a welcomed relief from my legs screaming at me to be chopped off at the hip.

Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel: Let's Talk About Fiber and Maybe Life Too | Knot By Gran'ma

My new (to me) spinning wheel found its way to my house yesterday too. It took a few minutes to figure out how to work it, and this YouTube video made it much easier. That’s the wheel I bought, by the way. It’s lovely and spins like a dream. While I was spinning, it got me to thinking about how things just kind of spin (see what I did there?) together to work out somehow.

Somehow I was able to find a beautiful rabbit and wheel for less than what I would have spent on just a new wheel. I’m saving money on my goals. This is really exciting for me, because I’m able to see the next step. Progress. I feel like this journey is a wonderful lesson in patience and determination. Also I need to work my butt off. No more slacking. No more procrastination. No more going to bed super early just because. Somehow the Universe is providing me with what I need, and I’m so grateful, humbled, inspired. It’s a great feeling, really.

Braids of wool roving: Let's Talk About Fiber and Maybe Life Too | Knot By Gran'ma

Spinning is something that found me. I’ve never aspired to spin. Just something else that’s too hard and would take up too much room and any other excuse that could pop into my head. In spending these past few months with my spindle and now yesterday’s spinning on the wheel, I’ve come to realize that I need to spin. It’s so very soothing. It kind of drones out the world for a little bit. My kids are acting up and getting on my nerves? Sit down with that drop spindle for a few minutes and relax, while working that beautiful fiber through my hands. Create beautiful yarn. Create something from nothing. It’s amazing. I can’t wait to get some actual finished yarn, so I can crochet it up into something wonderful.

So yeah. I think about fiber quite a bit. Apparently this is becoming my life. Working with fiber is my happy place, and I’m beyond fortunate to be able to spend my days doing what I love. Very cool, Universe. Very cool.

Image HTML map generator

You may also like

Let’s Talk About Fiber and Maybe Life Too
Tagged on:

16 thoughts on “Let’s Talk About Fiber and Maybe Life Too

• September 19, 2014 at 10:14 am

Purple will come out beautifully with food coloring! I love this 🙂

• September 19, 2014 at 11:17 am

So awesome that you love what you do!

• September 19, 2014 at 11:57 am

OMG, i keep telling my husband to buy me a little farm with sheep and I will learn to spin wool! He thinks I am kidding but I would SO love to learn! I am jealous!

• September 19, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I think it’s amazing that you have found something that you love and that helps you take a break from the world! I can also relate to the no more slacking and procrastination sometimes it’s easy to put things off!

• September 19, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Slacking is my number one issue… I’m actually slacking right now instead of finishing up this doll I’m supposed to be working on!

• September 19, 2014 at 2:05 pm

How cool! I think the best things in life are things that find us somehow. Not things we actively dream of doing. Love that you found something you’re so passionate about!

• September 19, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Yep. This one caught me by surprise… it’s really cool though. I’m not complaining. Plus it’s all part of my master plan.

• September 19, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I am impressed, I honestly have not ever known anyone who knows how to use a spinning wheel! It’s amazing that you have found something you are so passionate about!

• September 19, 2014 at 4:07 pm

I know people, but only through the internet. Somehow watching them sparked this interest and here I am.

• September 21, 2014 at 5:37 pm

WOW I have not seen one of those in a long time. I’m excited to see what you make

• September 21, 2014 at 5:41 pm

It’s great that you have found something you love.

• September 21, 2014 at 10:53 pm

oh my goodness, that is a gorgeous wheel. I didn’t realize they were still around (digital age kid).

• September 23, 2014 at 4:17 am

ok, so when I say the title of this post, I thought you meant “fiber” in the food sense….I know, I know I’m crazy, a bit sick and tired…when I was a little girl I always wanted a spinning wheel like the one in “Sleeping Beauty.”

Comments are closed.